History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

New Projects

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Remember how I posted a few days ago about how springtime makes me extra-creative?

I've found myself two new projects today.

The first was this morning. My aunt is pregnant. I was looking through pictures of her baby shower, and saw that while she had a picture with each gift she opened, she had FIVE pictures with Goodnight Moon. And the look on her face in the pictures was happier than in any of the other pictures of baby-gifts. This aunt of mine also happens to be a writer. I wasn't too surprised to see that a book made her glow.

So I was thinking, I haven't gotten her a gift yet. What if I wrote her baby girl a book, and illustrated it myself? I could get just one copy printed for her off Lulu, and maybe she'd love it. I really want her book to be something she'll love forever. After a whiel I decided to make ti for a SLIGHTLY older audience. By I that I mean geared more towards a four year old, than an infant, so that she might read it when she's a little older, too. I'm 19 and can still happily sit down for a few minutes of Dr. Suess. It brings back a lot of memories, and the stories don't totally bore me. I can't sit through Goodnight Moon. Every page is the same. That's not enough for me. ANYWAYS!

I'm second guessing myself now. Another aunt recently had a baby (she'll turn 1 this summer!) and I didn't make her a book. Those particular aunts live close together, adn the families see each other often. If the girls are close, I don't want to inspire any jealousy there. That means I will need to make two baby/small child books, and now I dont know whether to make two of the same book, or one for each.

And I've never even tried to write a story for a kid that little. I used to tell stories to my sisters when they were little, but I cant remember what I ever told them. I don't know many kids that young anymore either. It's been just a little too long for me to remember what a 4 year old reads, and I have no one to ask. All I remember from books when I was little are the pictures. But at the time, I loved the stories too. Maybe I'll go to the book store one day and talk to someone who works there. Or the library. Something.

But what if Rebekah and Emmy don't like the books I give their girls? Or what if the girls don't like the books? And my drawing skills aren't much. At the same time, if I were a little girl, I'd love a personalized book. Even now, I'd love someone to write a book just for me.

I've also started looking into an opportunity to write DIY/Home Improvement articles at $50 each. I'm a little bit scared because it's such a high paying market, but it's for a topic I actually KNOW! I know home improvement. I grew up on a construction site. I have helped with hundreds of houses, additions, and remodelings. Granted, when I was 5 helping consisted of bringing my dad another clip of nails for his finish gun, but when I was older it was actual helping. Installing windows, putting in recessed lighting (up until I fell through the ceiling. I got in a bit of trouble with that one....) installing toilets. Okay, a lot of it's baby stuff still, but I know how to do the heavier stuff. I just haven't had the chance. The jobs were mostly my fathers, so he was the one doing most of the work. Usually, if I wasn't busy doing something else, he'd talk me through it as he did it.

I should be focusing on The Circle. I know that. So let's do that. The Circle, here I come! DIY and PICTURE BOOKS, I'll attack you in a few hours.

0 comments:

Post a Comment