History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

Happy Baseball Season

Sunday, April 4, 2010

I do not like Easter. I have had quite a few bad experiences on Easter, and the one good Easter memory I have is more of a "springtime" memory than anything. It could have happened on any day. So instead I'll talk about the reason that today is a special day for me anyways.

It is the first day of Regular Season Baseball. I refuse to watch, listen to, or follow spring training, so this is really my first baseball day! I've been a Red Sox fan since I was a little girl. I went to my first game at 3 years old. Since then, my dad has taken me to at least one game a season. It has always been the Patriots Day game, which is also Marathon Monday. A lot of the time, my Dad and I will go to a second game later in the season. Once or twice we've even been to three games in a season.

He and I have never been to a losing game together. Not once. I remember one year, 2007 I think, when we were sitting behind (okay WAY behind) home plate. We were down in the 9th, but only by one run. We already had two outs. The guy sitting next to us was talking about rally caps, and how we need the luck to win. My Dad pointed to me and said "You see this girl? She's never been to a losing game. Today wont break that pattern." I don't remember who was coming up to bat, or what sign my dad pointed to, but he told the man that the first two pitches would be strikes and that on the third, he'd hit a home run, aimed right at that sign.

Strike.
Strike.
And then suddenly the ball was soaring, going far away right towards the sign my dad had pointed at. We had a man on second, and he got home. Our batter was still running. He made it. And we won by a run. The man sitting next to us told us we had to get season tickets.

This year, we wont be going to the Patriots Day game. Patriots Day is only recognized in New England, I'm told, so for those of you who don't know, it's the 3rd Monday in April. I will be in Virginia and my father will be in Florida. It's really sad for me to break this tradition. This is my absolute favorite. My father and I have a lot of traditions, and this past year I've broken them. This one is the one that I might just cry over. My Dad, The Sox, and heading out after to watch part of the Boston Marathon. Stopping on the way home (sometimes more than once) at Dunkin Donuts for drinks, and maybe a snack.

Woops, I got caught up in memory lane. I could go on but I'm sure you don't care to hear about every Sox game I went to.

Today is the first game of Regular Season Baseball. The only regular season game today is the Sox Home Opener. It's a Yankees game. The date today is 4/4. My lucky number is 4. I'm taking that as a really good omen, both for the game tonight, and for the season as a whole. I can't wait. I'm pumped. And good luck to all the Non-Red Sox teams this season too.

So Happy Easter, for those of you who don't hate the holiday. And Happy Baseball Season, to anyone who cares about baseball.

0 comments:

Post a Comment