History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

I Spoke Too Soon

Friday, June 10, 2011

I posted too early this morning. Maybe an hour after I posted that blog, my dad called. We talked about the normal stuff - his upcoming surgery (nothing major, just a revision for something that went wrong on his first knee surgery! No worries!) his job, my job, the weather, a sink I repaired last weekend (I was proud!), and my dad's siblings' various projects. All good stuff. My uncle Mark is building a porch, my aunt Lisa is opening a new gym (gymnastics) Ed's starting up some new company, and the rest of the family is doing all sorts of other things as well. Those were the highlights.

Then he says "So what's going on with your mom?"

Now, to you, that might not seem like much, but to me it meant everything. "What's going on" doesn't mean "how is she? What's see been up to lately, I haven't seen her in a while." No. That's not what he meant at all. If that's what he had meant, that's what he would have said. That's usually what he said.

"What's going on" means that something notable is going on, but he's not clear on the details. I explain to him that last weekend my mom was having heart palpitations (which, incidentally, might be due to a heritable disease. That's good news. I've been having serious and painful heart palpitations for years and no one knew what was wrong with me. Now, I might have the start of an answer. but that's beside the point!) My mom had gone to the hospital, they gave her some medication that was supposed to help her heart, and told her that they weren't sure what the aftereffects would be, and not to drive. I thought my father was talking about why my mom hadn't seen Amanda and Lauren last weekend.

And then he goes "What about the house?" House? What house? What about the house?

My father had been at my moms house the other day (my father's work trailer is still in her yard, and her garage is still my dad's storage unit) and the landlord had shown up. They got to chatting, and the landlord told my father that my mom is being evicted. She's supposed to be out on the 17th. The 17th. THE FREAKING SEVENTEENTH OF THIS MONTH! Today is the 10th (although apparently this conversation happened about 3 days ago, and the landlords had set the eviction ball rolling over a month ago). My mom has 10 days left to vacate the house. She hasn't said a word to me.

Now, my dad wasn't sure the landlord was telling the truth. He said "There's also a good change he just said that so I would get my stuff out of the yard" and then mentioned that he had some bead-board and other loose supplies and tools. Okay. Maybe the landlord was just trying to scare my dad. I can tolerate that. I can't tolerate my mother lying to me. Two weeks ago she was talking about re-decorating the kitchen. Now she might be moving? What?

While we were on the phone, my dad decided to poke around the house. He didnt have his key with him, and my mom wasn't home, so he just looked through the windows. Apparently, her couches are not in the living room. Where they were, I don't know, and she had stuff all over the back porch. However, the bedrooms, all of them, were still set up. Okay. Weird.

I don't know what's going on. Maybe I'll find out later, since I have to call my mom today anyways, and make sure she has a camera to video tape my sister's act in her school talent show. I cried when I found out she was in it and I couldn't be there. I really really have to make sure someone gets it on video for me. I need it.

And I need to know what the deal is with my mom, too.

1 comments:

Welcome To My World Of Poetry said...

How understandably worried you must be. I would be also.
I hope things work out and maybe it's just a horrible mistake.

Yvonne.

June 10, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Post a Comment