History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

E is for Eurovision

Thursday, April 7, 2011

It turns out that when I find something I like, I get a bit fanatical. A few years ago I started getting into Eurovision. For those who don't know, it's a song contest. European countries who want to participate choose a song, and in May they all get together, and perform live, and... it's a contest so there are winners and greatness all around.

The countries have all chosen their songs now, and released their official music videos. I'm really disappointed that most of the music videos are the singers performing on stage. I mean, I LOVE seeing them perform live, but that's what the contest is for. This pre-contest build up is about.... pre-contest build up. I was looking forward to the videos. Oh well I guess.


Last year, I was certain from the moment I saw it, that Lena was going to win it for Germany. The song was catchy, cute, and any girl who had ever had a crush on a boy could relate. And the singer, well she was just adorable.There was no question in my mind that it was the winner. It wasn't my favorite song, but it was the obvious choice. (For the record, I was supporting Moldova, and am still not over how low they ranked in the final.)

This year, Germany has my favorite entry, with the same singer who won last year, but the song isn't a winner. It just wont make it.

This year, I'm fairly sure Ireland's Jedward will win, with a song called Lipstick. I'm not as certain about it as I was last year about Satellite being the winning song, but I'm still pretty certain. Let me make it abundantly clear that I CANNOT STAND THIS SONG, and that I think the singer (and their hair!) look ridiculous. Just... no thanks.

A part of me wants to bet on it. Last year, I regretted not betting on Lena when I was completely certain she would win (really, I could have made a small fortune!). Another part of me thinks betting on it isn't a good idea. I'm not as certain of the outcome, and, the real issue, if I bet on Jedward, than I would be hoping for them to win, even with a crappy song. I don't want them to win, and I don't even want to lend them my sideways "well if you win I can make some money" sort of support.

2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I love the Eurovision though England of late usually become last.
Good E word.

Yvonne.

April 7, 2011 at 5:50 PM
E Boat said...

It's weird loving it as an American. No one here really knows about it. Blue seems to be really popular. I bet England will do a lot better this year than it has the past two.

April 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Post a Comment