History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

First Day of a New Job

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Today was my first day working at my new job. My managers are nice, my co-workers are wonderful. The work itself (fast food. Today they had me on the fryer) isn't bad at all. It smells wonderful where I stand. Like hamburgers, because the grill is right near me.

But a little while into my shift, my vision started to go dark and fuzzy. I felt fine, otherwise, so I figured it was just a little spell. No big deal, happens all the time. I stepped away from the fryer, towards the register, thinking that getting away from the heat might help. One of my co-workers saw that I looked a little weak, and offered to walk me out of the kitchens. I said I was fine, but she grabbed my arm, and started leading me away anyways.

Turns out, the front was a good idea. Before we got out of the kitchen, I apparently passed out completely. From my memory, one minute I was walking, the next I was sitting on a bench at a table, and my manager was sitting beside me, on the phone, apparently, calling an ambulance for me.

I felt fine, before I passed out, other than the fact that my vision was almost totally gone. After wards, I felt sort of like I had the flu. I was tired, my limbs felt heavy, the light was too bright, and my body was just generally "uncomfortable." I wasn't really in pain, but just.... I felt off, bad. Something wasn't right. My coworker (the same one who decided to get me out of the kitchen) got me a glass of water, which I downed in an instant. The emergency personnel showed up, took my pulse, blood pressure, and asked me a whole bunch of questions. I decided not to go to the hospital with them. I don't have health insurance. I couldn't afford it. I wanted to go. Knew better.

I realized, while they were asking me questions, that I couldn't remember drinking anything all day, except for my morning coffee. I decided I was dehydrated. I was sent home from work an hour and 40 minutes early.

Horribly embarrassing. Horribly uncomfortable. Horribly stupid.

So much for making a good first impression.

Now, I'm just hoping that my self-diagnosis is right, and that i'm fine tomorrow, after a billion gallons of water.

0 comments:

Post a Comment