History of Erin Boat

History of Erin Boat
The Unnecessary Backstory (the beginning)

Most Recent Post

Most Recent Post
End of an Era

Quote of the Moment

Quote of the Moment
Link to Writing Blog

Current Favorite Song

Current Favorite Song
But Anyway by Blues Traveler

Getting in Shape

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Most of the time, if I mention getting back in shape, someone says "But you look fine!" or else "But you're tiny!" Let me explain to you that being in shape and being thin are NOT the same. Take a look are some sports players for example. Pitchers, in baseball, often have a bit of a gut on them. That certainly doesn't mean they're out of shape. It means they have a belly. Football players are quite large, and in great shape. I am thin, and NOT in good shape.

I get winded when I walk up the stairs. That's NOT healthy. That's NOT being in good shape. I don't like it.

It's my fault. I had a ton of excuses for not doing anything. I moved to a new area, and wasn't comfortable going anywhere by myself. I have bad knees. I have housework to do. No matter what day or time it was, I had a reason to not excercise. The only one that is truely valid is the fact that I do have bad knees. But you know what? I've had bad knees since I was 13. I've only been in truly bad shape for about a year.

So I'm getting back in shape. And I'm happy about it. I'm taking up jogging. Running has always been an issue with me. Of all things, that is the one that causes the most knee pain, and swelling. I say fuck it. Jogging is supposed to be good for the heart right? Well my heart has been screwy for years, with no doctors paying attention. Maybe I'll fix it for real. So yes, I'm going to be jogging with knees that hurt the more I use them. If I am in pain, I'll take a break. When the pain goes away, I'll start back up again. I'm not giving up.

I'm excited. A little nervous, but excited. It's spring. It's a great time for jogging. Someone suggested I do the Couch-to-5K plan and that looks like its doable. I hope. I am starting today.

Also, I need to buy something a little more comfortable to run in. Jeans just don't quite cut it. I love new clothes, and having an excuse to buy them. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment